Start a business, Do your taxes, Save money

Volunteer Firefighter Tax Credit (VFTC)

Any volunteer firefighters out there? If so you could get $450 back on your taxes starting in the 2011 tax year.

To qualify for the new credit, you must meet the following conditions:

  • you must be a volunteer firefighter in the year; and
  • you must complete a minimum of 200 hours of eligible volunteer firefighter services with one or more fire departments in the year.

However, if you were also engaged by the same fire department (other than as a volunteer) for the same or similar duties, you cannot include any hours related to that department in determining if you have met the 200-hour threshold.

A certification from a fire chief or delegated official within the fire department may be requested to verify the number of hours of eligible volunteer firefighter services you performed for the department.

What are eligible volunteer firefighter services?

Eligible services include:

  • responding to and being on call for firefighting and related emergency calls as a firefighter;
  • attending meetings held by the fire department; and
  • participating in required training related to the prevention or suppression of fire.

Go here for more hot tips…

September 3, 2011 - Posted by | Personal Tax | , , ,

No comments yet.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s